THE SMOKING CAP CEREMONY: A GUIDE
- Immediately after the loyal toasts, our Beadle bangs a gavel for silence.
- The Clerk processes up the room, with the smoking cap held high on its silk-covered tray.
- The Clerk presents the cap to the Master with a bow.
- The Master dons the cap and bows left and right to the assembled Company.
- The Master removes the cap and places it on its ceremonial stand on the top table for the rest of the evening.
- The Company applauds and the Clerk returns to his or her place.